Thursday, April 28, 2011

Beautiful Britain - Westminster Abbey

THE big day in Britain is almost upon us (depending upon which time zone your in) and I for one will be glued to my chair watching THE event :)
I lived in London for a couple of years. Loved it. Such an historic place with many wonderful sites to see.
Westminster Abbey is gorgeous and a must see if you ever visit the area. Get off at Westminster tube station and walk over to see Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, the Abbey, and behind you The London Eye and London Aquarium. If you want to keep on walking you'll find the Churchill Museum, St. James Park and Buckingham Palace. You can also take a bus tour round the area which is very interesting.




Monks have been in the area since the 10th century. Kings and Queens have been crowned in the abbey since 1066. 17 are resting in peace there along with many other famous people. The abbey has been host to 15 royal weddings, though there might have been more.
The current building was started in 1245 and is typically Gothic in style. I love the ceilings, arches and in particular, the stained glass windows.
http://www.westminster-abbey.org/

4 comments:

Rosa-Munda said...

I will be glued to my tv too! Wouldn't miss it for anything.

Cheryll said...

I wonder what dress Kate has picked?... guess we'll all see soon! :)

Gabi said...

It's evening here...and I told my husband that I won't miss a moment of the wedding = take away night

Micki said...

The wedding was just wonderful!
Micki