Monday, August 2, 2010

It's an Interior Thing - Pojagi

I love stained glass windows and when I look at some of my "flimsies" before quilting they remind me of that. There is actually an ancient fabric style called Pojagi that looks like this form of art and is quite exquisite in its own right.

This one is a modern, more stylised version based on a 4 patch log cabin.


If you head on over to http://thesillyboodilly.blogspot.com/ and scroll down a wee bit you'll find some gorgeous examples AND some tutorials on how to create your own window hanging. We might have to move house to be able to hang one :)


If you can sew a regular dressmaking seam and are willing to learn how to do a french seam then you can create one of your own fairly quickly.

If you want to learn a little more about the history of Korean wrapping clothes head on over to http://threads.srithreads.com/tag/pojagi Gorgeous.


And a beautiful 3 dimensional interpretation can be found at http://plays-with-needles.blogspot.com/2008/12/sidetracked-by-korean-textiles.html Simple yet very elegant.


A panel that I saw up close belonged to a neighbor (since moved). She used it as a drape for her living room window. It had pockets in it and she would change out the flowers depending upon the season. Looked lovely.

3 comments:

Dolores said...

I love stained glass quilts and that window hanging is gorgeous.

Debbie said...

How neat! I had a blue and white wall quilt that I hung over a window for a while and loved the effect of the light coming through it. I may have to try this and do one for my sewing room. The link has a great tutorial. Thank you, Carol for posting this.

Quiltefia said...

Hello!! Thank you for sharing these things with us!! I`m going to try to make this type of patchwork. Fun to get inspiration for something that is completely unknown to me!! AnneK.-)