Monday, September 27, 2010

Blog of the week - The Busy Thimble

I belong to the yahoo group Small Quilt Talk. Great group of ladies dedicated to the fine art of making miniature/small quilts. For me this will be a steep learning curve as I am all thumbs when it comes to working with tiny pieces of fabric.

Meet Cyndi Black www.busythimble.blogspot.com/  from Maine who is relatively new to "bloggie world" but has many, many years of experience sewing and quilting and sharing her talents. She owns a quilt store (sigh) Busy Thimble Quilt Shop, and specializes in antique reproduction fabric. (An area of fabric design that is relatively new to me but which I plan learning more about.)

A goodly number of people in the group are working on a miniature version of the quilt shown above. We are using the pattern featured last year at Moda Bakeshop. Cyndi's version is based on a design found in the book "Small Endearments:19th Century Quilts for Children and Dolls" by Sandi Fox. (There's also a "big bed" version kicking around the internet that is fabulous.)

Cyndi's store is situated on an old farm (in what looks like a large old shed.). How's this for a lovely work day environment (view from her kitchen).


Two of the many, self made, miniature quilts that hang in Cyndi's store. Thanks for being such an inspiration. If I tried making blocks THAT small I would probably shred them !!!!!!


So hop on over to her blog and find out more about this talented lady. Expect me to share more reproduction and antique sites over the next few months because next year is .............. 150th birthday of the Civil War and I am going to move out of my comfort zone, style wise, for a while (maybe).

1 comment:

Judy Warner said...

I will check out Cyndi's site. What a great place to live! Hope you have fun making miniature quilts. I know I would find it challenging!