Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Scots Corner - The National Dish


My wee nephew loooooooves Haggis and eats it by itself with great gusto. I on the other hand am somewhat iffy about it but have eaten the full meal on occasion. (I think it's been about 3 times since I left the sainted motherland.)
When you read the recipe you might see why I have issues:)
Since I cannot bring myself to even type the thing up I'm sending you somewhere to see some pictures, even a YouTube on cooking it. http://tipdeck.com/how-to-cook-haggis Be warned one of the pictures looks like a giant slug.

Then head off to a fun story (or six) about this mythical beastie http://www.electricscotland.com/haggis/

In the course of my wanders round the WWW I discovered that the first recognizable recipe for Haggis was written in an ENGLISH cook-book. Oh nooooooooooo ....... My ancient ancestors would roll in their graves. (They came from France and also ate their own version of haggis.)

Some pithy writer has stated that if you take the oatmeal out of the recipe you are left with American hot dogs. I don't think so !!!!!!!!

Speaking of writing - The New York Times has an interesting article www.nytimes.com/1986/01/05/travel/fare-of-the-country-haggis-history-and-humor.html written initially from the perspective of an Englishman to a tourist before heading into the meat of the dish.

2 comments:

Stephanie Hughes said...

I will have to try it! Sounds very INTERESTING! I wonder if I can buy it locally? Steph

pajudie said...

Very interesting - I like the part about "don't forget the whiskey" - I think I'd need it!! This dish ranks right up there with "head cheese" and "blood sausage" - I probably shouldn't judge, though, since I've never tasted Haggis - I must remember Dr. Seuss and "Green Eggs & Ham"...
Judie