Thursday, September 3, 2009

Local Life - Out and About

Sometimes you can see the oddest looking things when you are out and about. I went to Cheekwood Botanic Gardens on Tuesday and look what I parked behind. I did not know what to make of it to begin with ...... then I took a look around and realised the the Outdoor Scarecrow Exhibition has started (well almost). Some of the posts are still vacant and at least one was being put together while I was there.
The main theme is related to Mark Twain. Nashville, it would appear, is having city wide celebrations and this is Cheekwood's contribution. The Twain scarecrow is just down the pathway from this one and there was another one doing a head stand right in front of whatever this charming creature is supposed to be.
This outdoor event of fun and frolicsomninity runs till November 1st. I think I'll take my kids :) We probably should pack a lunch since they are all over the estate.
Oh and next year - I can hardly contain myself - the outdoor exhibit is going to be by the amazing glass artist Dale Chihuly (May 25 thru Oct.31). In conjunction with that the Frist Center for the Visual Arts will be having an exhibition of his work May 14 2010 thru Jan 2011 and the Symphony will be presenting Bluebeard's Castle May 20-22, 2010 with DC's stage set.
Cheekwood by, the way, is about 10 minutes from my house.

No comments: