Friday, September 18, 2009

Where Did We Begin - First tied and first applique

The alphabet baby blanket for daughter #3 was my first real attempt at tying a quilt on a frame (1993). My mother-in-law showed me how to do it properly. Up until a few months ago it spent most of it's time hanging on the wall in my daughter's bedroom. She learned how to spell words using it and red is still one of her favorite colors.
The other quilt, laying in a heap (there's a reason for that), is my first attempt at "own design" applique friendship. We were moving to Michigan and one night I woke up with a completed picture in my mind and drew it down on a piece of paper. It took a wee while to buy all the fabric and supplies and draw up the design on the fabric. Then I had people sign the hearts that were to be embroidered. Unfortunately this is also my oldest "work in progress" (14 years) because I did not finish off the applique hearts first. Trying to work in between the embroidered hearts is really awkward but it will get finished and hung on our living room wall.

No comments: